BA (Hons) in Business - Global Business*
CAO Code: DB520
The BA (Hons) in Business (NFQ Level 8, 180 ECTS) is a three year full-time or four-year part-time programme that aims to provide learners with the fundamental skills of business and create, in the learner, a diversity of cross-enterprise skills necessary in today’s competitive and evolving market. Learners will also acquire insight into sub‐fields of business and increase their knowledge and skills in the specialised areas of Management, Project Management, Human Resource Management, Information Systems, Cloud Computing, Psychology, Global Business, or Law, depending on the electives they choose. In this way, the programme aims to provide an integrated, balanced and dynamic business education that enables the learner to develop the theoretical knowledge and practical skills they need to critically analyse, evaluate and implement strategic solutions for business opportunities and challenges in a diverse and dynamic field.
The Global Business elective provides a focus on global business. This pathway has been designed with the specific intention of equipping graduates for a career in today’s increasingly global and culturally diverse business environment. In today's global economy, it is essential for employees to be culturally agile. The best team players and leaders will possess the ability to accurately assess the cultural environment in which they operate in order to manage themselves and their teams appropriately. As businesses around the world have become increasingly interconnected, graduates are required to possess a global perspective in order to thrive. The global business elective aims to produce graduates who understand that globalisation has resulted in an increased interconnectedness of businesses, people, cultures, marketing economics, politics and sustainability and about sharing that information across countries and continents. At Level 7 the global business elective modules are Politics in the Modern World, Global Finance, and Intercultural Management. At Level 8 the elective modules include Environment and Society, Global Issues and International Marketing.
The programme's specific objectives are as follows:
1. Provide learners with a strong base of contemporary business knowledge through theory, concepts and methods constituting an in‐depth academic grounding in the core disciplines and skills, and related areas, required for a career in general business.
2. Imbue learners with appropriate expertise in the major aspects of the essential business disciplines and an awareness of the means by which the frontiers of the disciplines can be expanded and new knowledge appraised.
3. Develop in learners a methodical and rational approach to business problem solving and decision making, with the capability to apply acquired knowledge and skills to practical business situations.
4. Develop in learners a range of intellectual skills, encompassing reasoning and evaluative skills and communication skills that develop as fully as possible their interpersonal abilities.
5. Develop learner capacity to organise information, argue, negotiate and defend conclusions and to present them in a clear and coherent fashion.
6. Encourage learners to deal with knowledge in a critical and analytical way, with the capacity and confidence to evaluate ideas and opinions underpinned by qualitative and quantitative research findings.
7. Provide learners with the opportunity to also specialise in a sub‐field of business learning and to increase their knowledge and skills in this specialised area of Management, Project Management, Human Resource Management, Information Systems, Cloud Computing, Psychology, Global Business or Law. This specialism is in addition to the objectives outlined previously.
Subject to Validation*